Saturday, December 04, 2004

Fierce Female Film Performances (in my humble opinion)

Whenever I watch the Oscars, Best Actor is usually of little interest to me (except when Adrien brody won - phwoar!). I just want to know which leading lady is gonna be honored with the prestigious "Best" title. Anyway, I have just been watching Kill Bill Vol.2 (for the umpteenth time) with Vix's brother Matt, and it inspired me to write this post. Maybe Kill Bill is a good place to start (feel free to comment at the end if you feel that I have missed out an important all-time fierce performance):


elle driver

Elle Driver (Darryl Hannah) – Kill Bill Vol.2
“Now you should listen to this, 'cause this concerns you. 'The amount of venom that can be delivered from a single bite can be gargantuan.' You know I've always liked that word gargantuan? I so rarely have an opportunity to use it in a sentence.”


aliens

Ellen Ripley (Sigourney Weaver) – Aliens
“Get away from her you bitch!”


lastseduction

Bridget Gregory / Wendy Troy (Linda Fiorentino) – The Last Seduction
“'I’m sorry, it’s just that I haven’t felt this way about a guy before.' How’s that? Will that do?”


Barbarella

Barbarella (Jane Fonda) – Barbarella
After having experienced physical sex for the first time, “La, la, la, la, la, la, la, la…”


basic instinct

Catherine Tramell (Sharon Stone) – Basic Instinct
“I had sex with him for about a year and a half. I liked having sex with him. He wasn't afraid of experimenting. I like men like that. I like men who give me pleasure. He gave me a lot of pleasure.”


Miranda Richardson

Ingrid Fleming (Miranda Richardson) – Damage
"You should have killed yourself. I would have buried you. And I would have wept."


leia

Princess Leia (Carrie Fisher) – Star Wars
“Governor Tarkin, I should have expected to find you holding Vader's leash. I recognised your foul stench when I was brought on board.”


catwoman

Catwoman (Michelle Pfieffer) – Batman Returns
“As I was saying, I’m a woman and can’t be taken for granted. Life’s a bitch. Now so am I.”


cannonball

Lamborghini Babes (Tara Buckman & Jill Rivers) – Cannonball Run
No lines, just a little cleavage enhancing “unzipping”.


But, for me, the winner of the All Time Fierceness In a Movie Award goes to:

glenn close

Marquise Isabelle de Merteuil (Glenn Close) - Dangerous Liaisons
“When I came out into society I was 15. I already knew then that the role I was condemned to, namely to keep quiet and do what I was told, gave me the perfect opportunity to listen and observe. Not to what people told me, which naturally was of no interest to me, but to whatever it was they were trying to hide. I practiced detachment. I learned how to look cheerful while under the table I stuck a fork into the back of my hand. I became a virtuoso of deceit. I consulted the strictest moralists to learn how to appear, philosophers to find out what to think, and novelists to see what I could get away with, and in the end it all came down to one wonderfully simple principle: win or die.”


MUST TRY HARDER!

madonna

Rebecca Carlson (Madonna) – Body of Evidence
“Men lie. I don’t know why. They just do.”

3 comments:

Christopher said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Christopher said...

I got the last coment wrong. Arguably, one of the best lines in the movie is:

"One of the reasons I never remarried, despite receiving a quite bewildering range of offers, was because of the determination to NEVER AGAIN BE ORDERED AROUND! I must therefore ask you to adopt a less "marital" tone of voice."

Jef said...

Your tastes in movies is very much like my own. I pretty much have most of the dialogue from Star Wars memorized. In fact, I used to be able to do act out the scene where they blow up Alderan by playing all the parts while drunk at parties. I hear it was quite entertaing, but I just did it for fun.