Saturday, March 26, 2005

Hate something. Change something.

I am at home in Bath for the weekend, taking it easy, putting my feet up, eating cute Easter chicks. Real ones.

If I want to have the use of mum's car for the day I have to get up at 6am and drive her to work. After I dropped her off this morning I decided to take a little detour so that I could make the most of the early morning sun and empty roads (beautiful, beautiful).

As I ambled along the country lanes around Westbury and Dilton Marsh, my wandering hand found a CD in the door pocket of Mum's car. It was the promotional CD for Honda's "Hate Something" ad campaign. Only some of you will have seen this ad, but it features a diesel engine bouncing about primary coloured meadows as little animals and smiling flowers look on in awe.

With vaguely curious interest, I popped the CD on fully expecting it to be full of shite Dire Straits B-sides (chosen by some 60 year old Honda brand manager). I was delighted to discover that it was actually a great compilation of eclectic, classic sing-alongs including "ABC" by the Jackson 5, "I Love Your Smile" by Chanice and "Dream a Little Dream of Me" by The Mamas and the Papas.

But right at the end of the CD, the bestest, most brilliant song ever to, um, feature in a car TV commercial.

"The Grr Song" by Be Nice to the Pigeons - the one which features in the Honda ad itself! Download it here!

It was glorious. Mum's little car bounced along the roads, I sang badly using my broken vocal chords, little rabbits in the fields I passed by stopped shagging each other for a second so that they could fully take in this jolly, musical, speeding, tropical blue little fun wagon.

I had become the living embodiment of a car ad. And all was right with the world. Who'd have thunk?

No comments: