Monday, November 01, 2004

Stop Calling Me!!! (but don't completely stop!)

Email from Jake on Friday (I have no doubt that he’d kill me if he knew that I was sharing this kinda stuff with the world, but I tell you guys everything else, so...)

“I just wanted you to know, even though it's only been a week (today is our anniversary!), I really like you and I'm sat here thinking about you and it's making me smile. I know that's a bit full on, but if you feel like you want to say something then you say it. Have a good evening my sexy PR man.”

This should fill me with warm fuzzies and I guess in a way it does. I mean it’s really awesome that someone can feel that way about me in such a short space of time. But at the same time I'm a little like “Whoa boy! Whoa! Down!”

Katie (Hi Katie – you wanted to be mentioned in my blog so here you go!) gave me some excellent advice. “That is possibly the most adorable thing! And you know what, I believe him. Look, fucking live for the moment, don’t think too much coz guess what? You could pop ya clogs tomorrow. But stick to one small rule. It is OK for you to like him back, but play slightly hard to get, not as a head fuck but in the fun way. Flirty is the best part. As my dear step mum, Cathy, said '”Darling run and they follow. Follow and they run”

On Saturday afternoon I took Drew’s younger sister Amber out to the pub for drinks. She moved to London from New Zealand shortly before Drew moved back and is still getting used to the craziness that is London. I met her in Covent Garden and she had just bought a rather heavy hoover and I was the perfect gentlemen by throwing it over my shoulder and lugging it through the crowd.

Because she is a kiwi I thought it would be amusing to take Amber to the Walkabout Bar, but she soon pointed out that there was a flaw in my plan, and that the Walkabout Bar is actually for Australians. Anyway, she got chatted up at the bar, so I think she was happy with my choice.

So Kate had already called me earlier to ask me if Amber and I fancied going to this night that she was DJ-ing at in Kings Cross – a free ticket only party that promised to be good fun. Jake and I had originally had dinner plans, but that had fallen through, so instead we had planned to stay in and watch movies. But seeming that I haven’t really seen Kate or the Scoobie’s in a while I thought that it seemed like a better option, so I called Jake and left a message that I was going to go and would he like to come as well?

During my catch up with Amber he calls me no less than four times in the space of an hour. First to say that he’s not coming, but that it’s cool for me to go (Good, cause I was going to anyway!) Then he calls me again to say that actually he might come after all. Then he calls again about ten minutes later to say that he might come into Covent Garden. And then again to say that actually he’s not – he’s going to go to the gym. If there’s one thing that annoys me it’s people who can’t make up their mind! Just pick something and do it! Anyway – by the last call I was starting to lose my rag with him. I answered the phone with a stern "What?!" and he was all like "Are you getting pissy with me?" I mean damn he’s cute and hot and nice as pie but...oh but nothing.

So I go back home and have a nap and then get changed to go and meet Kate and Joe at some promoters house near to the club. On the way he calls me yet again to say that he isn’t going to come. Then at the house he calls me again to say that he is bored and is now considering it again. He’ll call me later when he makes up his mind. Argh!!!!

We all pile down to the club and it’s a really nice space, quite small and the guys have done a great job of making it look like a Halloween dungeon. Joe is dressed as a stylish zombie. Me? Well I kinda forgot that the evening was themed and just wore cargos and my new Andrew Ibi sweatshirt. Joe pacifies me by saying that I could be a homicidal maniac because they could look like anyone. Oh – and Lorna wears THE most inspired outfit…a dress made from cereal boxes, with blood splattered all her over (Serial killer – geddit?)

No one really turns up at the party so I guess officially the night was a failure. But we all had a good time, got drunk and danced our asses off to a great set courtesy of Kate.

At about 2.30am Jake calls me to see if I am still at the club and wants to know if I fancy coming back to his to keep him company. Things are really starting to slow down, so I decide to make my exit and jump into a cab to go over to his. I’m a bit of a drunken mess by the time I get to Blackfriars and am not much good for anything or anyone. I fall asleep fully clothed on the bed.

Lounge around in bed for a few hours in the morning and he's really sweet and I quickly forgive him for being a ditherer on a grand scale (without giving too much away, I would just like to share with you that the boy has a body that would put Marcus Schenkenberg to shame. Not a six pack - we're talking an eight pack. I do feel slightly self conscious when I compare myself. I mean there is just no way that I can compete! Some people really luck out in the genes stakes)

We get up properly around lunchtime and mooch off for a walk (gorgeous day!) and then get some late brunch at some brasserie near to the Oxo Tower. We have a really nice chat about all kinds of stuff, but I kind of spoil the mood slightly I think by reiterating something that I had already hinted at a few days before. The need for me to take things slow.

Cause the thing is, there is something that I haven’t told him yet. Tonight I am being taken out for dinner by a couple of people from this company that headhunted me for a potential job working in their brand new New York office. The gig is definitely not in the bag yet, although I am quite hopeful. I would go back to New York in a heartbeat and if I (knock on wood) get the job then it could even be as early as January (two months away!!)

I’m not going to tell him this yet. It’s really early days between us and I and if it comes to the crunch I know that I’m going to pick NYC over him. But because I don’t know I’m just gonna ride it out for a bit and see what happens. Isn’t it typical that two great “opportunities” come along at once and that you are forced to make a decision.

There is of course every chance that next week Jake will drop me and I won’t get the job in NYC.

In which case I will be setting my sights of my newest potential venture – celebrity dating. I have decided that I would make a really great “kept” boyfriend. I guess I should start saving up for my membership to Chinawhite.

No comments: